A Catholic, a Protestant or an out and out Atheist, Christmas gives all a (different) reason to celebrate. Right from the holidays to the hectic BPL schedule to the awesome line up of Hollywood movies to the Proteas tour down under, this festive season has it all.
So without further ado, let us dig in to the treasure trove of entertainment :-
1) The Day The Earth Stood Still
No role could have fit Keanu better than that of playing an emotionless alien, is what they are saying. On the other hand a lot of old timers are quite peeved at a “classic” being remade.
Monkey’s take:- How on earth could a 1950’s SFX movie be a classic ? Special effects were barely born at that time!! I believe some of these detractors think it’s cool to stand by old movies even if they may have become obsolete for the modern day.
Prediction:- Didn’t you notice the word “flop” all over the trailer ? Should see decent openings though
Why watch it :- Stars Keanu Reeves and Jennifer Connelly for christ’s sake. Should be heavy on SFX, so no matter how much the movie might suck, it should be worthy of a first time look
Looking forward to this the most. Looks like Sin City, so what could possibly go wrong
The director, maybe. The first trailer was intriguing whereas the next two trailers were a bit “masala filled” and Samuel L. Jackson looks like he has it in him to solely take the ship down 😦
Monkey’s take:- The creator should have stayed that way and instead let Robert Rodriguez handle it.
Prediction:- To bomb/tank at the B.O
Why watch it :- Unconventional movies are a must watch. Also happens to star Scarlett Johansson, Eva Mendes…. I needn’t elaborate
3) Curious Case of Benjamin Button
David Fincher’s latest effort with his previous efforts being movies like Fight Club, Zodiac. Lip smackin prospect then it should be.
Monkey’s take:- The idea of a man, ageing backwards, in love with a woman ageing forward might look good on paper but a making a good movie out of it will be a mighty challenge
Prediction:- I felt this would flop too but the early reviews have been promising, so i am going to sit on the fence with this one.
Why watch it:- You would watch it for the novelty of the storyline, i would watch it for Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett and David Fincher
Brief take on the rest of the star driven flicks:-
4) Brothers Bloom:- should a fun filled heist movie. Stars Adrien Brody and Rachel Weisz!!
5) Seven Pounds:- Some sort of drama but, with the Prince at the helm anything is possible
6) Yes Man:- Jim Carrey tries to re-gain his funny man image
7) Valkyrie:- A man named Tom Cruise tries to kill Adolf Hitler (of all people)
8) Nothing but the Truth:- Allegedly a thriller, a flop surely. Stars Kate Beckinsale so might want to take a look
9) Revolutionary Road:- Directed by Sam Mendes (American Beauty) and starring Leonardo di Caprio. Extraordinary combination but the plot looks disappointing
10) Wrestler:- Darren Aronofsky, the mastermind behind ‘Requiem for a Dream’ comes out with yet another winner, or so they are saying at the moment
11) Jennifer’s Body:- Starring the hottest commodity of the moment Megan Fox, and backed up by a script by Diablo Cody (oscar for Juno). Surely a warm prospect but details of the release date are a bit shoddy
Had i been in US of A i would have been to all of these movies but as it stands i don’t, and that means i might have to end up settling for torrent files. As of now, TDESS looks to be the only one releasing here 😦 .
p.s:- Any movies site will also give the above info, so why the goddamn post? Fellow bloggers have been complaining about lack of activity in the blogroll. This one might not make up in quality but will at least help in making up the numbers
p.s 2:- The word count was 666 before i wrote this p.s but now it’s not, but you wouldn’t have known if i hadn’t mentioned it (cache 22, i guess)